WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Early sexual activity is linked to a wide variety of negative life outcomes including unwanted pregnancy, increased rate of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and HIV/AIDS infections, increased single parenthood, and increased maternal and child poverty.
- Nationally, 82% of teen pregnancies are unplanned; they account for about one‐fifth of all unintended pregnancies annually.
- In 2008, nearly 7% of all District teenagers were diagnosed with Chlamydia.
- Half of all cases of Chlamydia and gonorrhea in the District are among adolescents.
- 1 in 100 youth in the District is HIV positive.
- The pregnancy rate for women between the ages of 15‐19 rose 4.8% from 2007 to 2008.
- Through Department of Health HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis, STD and Tuberculosis’ (HAHSTA) school based STD screening program, a consistent infection rate range for Chlamydia and gonorrhea of 9% to 14% has been found.